Art and Design
Silver Artsmark Award
Art and design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences, and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think, through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes. Children become involved in shaping their environments through art and design activities. They learn to make informed judgements, and aesthetic and practical decisions. They explore ideas and meanings through the work of artists and designers. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, they can explore the impact it has had on contemporary life and on different periods and cultures. The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enrich all our lives.
Our objectives in the teaching of art and design are:
- to enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work;
- To encourage children to recognise the need to modify their work and to be able to discuss their reasons.
- to develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities;
- to improve the children's ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
- to increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures;
- to develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials;
- to foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts, and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
Key knowledge and vocabulary - Year 1
Key knowledge and vocabulary - Year 2
Key knowledge and vocabulary - Year 3
Key knowledge and vocabulary - Year 4
Key knowledge and vocabulary - Year 5
Key knowledge and vocabulary - Year 6
Working with local artists
Working with Blackpool Sixth Form Art and Design students
A Child's view of Art at St John's
"I can make something I'm proud of."
"I can use my creativity in Art. If I think of something good, then I use that - if it's not so good then I can make it better. There are no wrong answers in Art, you just use your imagination."
"It's very expressive. Whether I'm feeling happy or sad I can always rely on Art - all you need is a pencil and paper."